1) Haney, J., C. Havice, and J. Mitchell. 2019. “Science or Fiction: The persistence of disaster myths in Hollywood films” International Journal of Mass
Emergencies and Disasters 37(3): 286-295
2) Tierney, K., Bevc, C., & Kuligowski, E. 2006. “Metaphors Matter: Disaster Myths, Media Frames, and Their Consequences in Hurricane Katrina.” The Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science, 604: 57-81.
(Both available in Blackboard). Make notes on how disaster myths are present in films.
Second, select one of the movies listed below. Most of these films are in English and available through Netflix, others can be found through other services or free over the internet.
Third, watch the movie and take notes on the themes, characters’ social roles, behaviors, etc.
Fourth, review the notes from articles and your observations of the movie. Write a reflexive essay (400-500 words) addressing the following questions:
1) What makes this film a “disaster movie”? Was it based on real events or fiction?
2) What would a teenager/young adult learn about this kind of disaster? How informative is the film on what to expect in the event that such a disaster occurs?
3) Which disaster myths, as mentioned in the readings, are present in the film?
4) Based on your observations and reading notes, what is your assessment of the film in regards to the use of disaster myths?
Click Here To Download
The post Emergencies appeared first on AssignmentHub.